BLUEBERRY COCONUT TREATS
Lately I’ve been baking a ton, it's become my therapy. I love looking in my kitchen cabinets and seeing what recipe I can conjure up using just the ingredients I have on hand. With the change in seasons, I was in the mood to make something that was both fruity and healthy for my pups.
Blueberries are a great source of antioxidants, which are known to help improve the health of animals. This delicious fruit is also a packed with vitamins and minerals that help boost the immune system - which we can all use right now ;)
For this recipe, I’m using coconut flour to complement the blueberries to give the treats a slightly sweeter taste. This heart-healthy flour also comes with a ton of benefits. Coconut flour is an excellent alternative for dogs with allergies since it’s plant based and grain free. With it’s Low-Glycemic Index and high fiber count, coconut flour is less likely to cause a spike in blood sugar levels. This makes it a great choice for dogs, especially ones who might have high cholesterol or are at risk of diabetes.
1 cup coconut flour* (extra for dusting)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (thawed and chopped)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 eggs (room temperature)
* Option to substitute a different flour for coconut flour, just keep in mind its not a equal 1:1 ratio. For example if you sub in all purpose flour, you'll need to add a 1/4 cup flour to this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a large heatproof bowl, melt coconut oil in the microwave. Should take about 30 seconds
3. Whisk eggs and coconut oil together
4. Add coconut flour, mixing all three ingredients until evenly combined
5. Work in the thawed blueberries, along with all the natural juices they thawed out in. Use your hands to form dough into a ball. Dough should be a purple color once evenly combined.
6. On a floured surface, roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes
7. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown
8. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup
High Paws and Blueberries Kisses
Me, my doods and I