If you follow us on Instagram, then you probably know Vito had an eye issue last year and it got me thinking about his (and Luca’s) overall eye health.
Just like us humans, dogs can suffer from vision loss as they get older. To help prevent this I wanted to look into natural ways to support your dog’s vision. Two foods that kept coming up in my searches were carrots and sweet potatoes.
Carrots are loaded with vision boosting benefits. This crunchy vegetable contains essential phytonutrients - lycopene and lutein, which may protect your pups eyes from UVB radiation. They’re also packed with magnesium, niacin, beta-carotene, and vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K.
Sweet Potatoes are one of the healthiest foods to give your dogs. Just like carrots, sweet potatoes are filled with the antioxidant beta-carotene - making it a superfood. It can provide support to ward off heart disease, as well as reduce the risks of certain cancers.
2 1/4 cups of oat flour
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup of water (only use if needed)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together carrots, mashed sweet potatoes, yogurt and melted coconut oil.
3. Add oat flour and mix everything together until a dough forms. IF YOUR DOUGH IS A LITTLE DRY - then add 1/4 cup of water to the mix. Shape it into a ball or two separate balls.
4. Flour a counter top and roll out the dough to about 1/4” thick, then use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes.
5. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
6. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup.
If leaving treats out on the kitchen counter, store them in an airtight container. Treats should stay fresh for 7 - 10 days on the counter and up 2 weeks in the fridge.