SUPERFOOD DOG TREATS
Since our dogs can’t feed themselves, its up to us to make sure they get the proper nutrients. Diet plays a huge role in your dog’s overall health - this includes what you feed your dog during normal mealtimes and snack times.
I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase ‘you are what you eat’ so why not put a little super into your dogs treats. These superfood balls are loaded with all sorts of healthy goodies to help benefit your dog. And one perk for us humans is that there’s no baking involved!
Let’s breakdown the three key ingredients:
Spirulina is a natural algae made up of amino acids and essential fatty acids. It can help strengthen your dogs immune system and cleanse his/her body of toxins. Spirulina is a natural antihistamine and can help reduce allergies. With vitamins A, B and E, spirulina can also improve skin and coat health.
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, making it a great supplement for dogs with joint issues and arthritis. This amazing antioxidant can help prevent diseases such as cancer, diabetes, gastrointestinal disorders and liver disease.
Coconut oil is both antiviral and antibacterial making it a wonderful option to boost your dog’s immune system. With high levels of healthy fats, coconut oil has been know to improve digestion, relieve itchy skin and add extra shine to your dog’s coat.
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup Spirulina
1/4 cup Turmeric
1/3 cup coconut oil (not melted, room temp)
1/4 natural peanut butter
Optional - about 1/2 cup coconut flakes for rolling
1. Use a blender or food processor to chop up the rolled oats. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl add coconut oil and peanut butter, whip together until smooth.
3. Add Spirulina, turmeric and oats to the peanut butter, coconut oil mixture. Mix together until evenly combined.
4. Use a tablespoon to spoon off enough of the mixture to form into a small ball. Repeat this until all the mixture is gone.
Optional - Roll the balls into coconut flakes until each one is lightly covered.
5. Place superfood balls in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving. Makes about 15 - 18 treats.
Treat your pup to one or two each day. Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
High Paws and Superfoods,
Me, my doods and I