’Tis the season for baking and whipping up some yuletide cheer for our bellies - I mean, your pup’s belly ;)
These cranberry treats are a great way to kick off the merry season with you furry friend. Each cookie is loaded with a mouthful of festive flavors. Packed with cranberries, ginger, molasses and honey, your pup will be feeling all sorts of holly jolly. Added bonus - these cookies make your home smell like gingerbread house.
CRANBERRY DOG TREATS
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp ground ginger
3 1/4 cups oat flour (plus extra for rolling out)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Use a blender or food processor to chop the cranberries up, then set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, molasses, honey and coconut oil.
4. Add cranberries, ginger and oat flour. Mix everything together and form the dough into a ball or two separate balls.
5. Roll dough out to about 1/4” thick, then use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
7. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup.
8. For a little extra cheer, dip the treats in melted carob.
CAROB DIPPED TREATS
1. Melt your carob chips using a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, then you can heat the carob chips in microwave safe bowl - start for 30 seconds and stir, then switch to 15 second increments until the chips are melted.
DOG MOM TIP: if you’re having trouble getting the carob chips to melt, add a little bit of coconut oil to the chips.
2. Once the carob chips are melted, take your treats (one at a time) and hand dipped them into the melted carob. Place on wax paper and repeat until you have all your treats dipped.
3. Sprinkle with coconut flakes or chopped peanuts or leave plain.
4. Place in the refrigerator and let the carob harden before serving to your pup.