After taking 3 weeks off from baking, I was itching to get back in the kitchen. With Vito’s weight gain in mind, I had new motivation to create some high calorie treats that would help him pack on the pounds. This was a little bit of a challenge because it's changing the way I bake…
You see, most of the ingredients I use are ones that I keep on hand. So first things first, I did some research to find foods that help underweight dogs put on weight healthfully. One of the foods I found happens to be one that I am allergic to - CHEESE! However, just because I’m allergic doesn’t mean I can’t bake with it ;)
A little fun fact about me...I have a dairy allergy, as well as a gluten allergy.
Cheese is a great snack for your pups and is one that should be given in small quantities. Since cheese is high in fat it can lead to weight gain - which is great for Vito - but to all our stable weight puppy friends, please enjoy these treats in moderation.
EASY CHEESY DOG TREATS
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
1 cup shredded mild cheddar and monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 3/4 cup oat flour
Optional add in ingredient, BACON!
Your eyes aren't deceiving you. Yes, there's tiny bits of bacon in the photos. I had a few pieces left over from Sunday’s touchdown bacon treats so I added them for a little extra calorie boost!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
4. Add cheese and flour. Mix everything together and form the dough into a ball or two separate balls.
7. Roll dough out to about 1/4” thick, then use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown (mine took about 25 minutes).
8. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup.