If you follow us onInstagram then it’s probably pretty obvious that my heartbeats for Vito and Luca. Everyday they fill my heart with love and bring life to my days. I’m sure meaning of you reading this can relate :)
With Valentine’s day coming up and my two lil heartbeats at my feet, it got me thinking of a new recipe inspired by a play on words - heart beets!
Beets are a great source of vitamin C, fiber, manganese and folate. This powerhouse veggie is loaded with nutrients to help with your dogs immune system, digestion and joint cartilage.
1 1/2 cups oat flour (plus extra for rolling out the dough)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup beet puree
1 ripe medium sized banana
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3 tablespoons honey
Stick to the 1 1/2 cups oat flour and 1/2 cup coconut flour. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE! These treats will be a bit on the moist side and the coconut flour will help absorb any excess liquid from the beet puree.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Make the beet puree - I used canned beets - plain canned beets, simply beets and water. Drain the water from the beets and then put the beets in a food processor or blender. Pulse for about 30 seconds until a puree forms. Scoop out 1/3 cup for the recipe and save the rest for later.
3. In a large bowl, mash the banana until there’s only small pieces left.
3. Add the beat puree and honey. Stir together until evenly mixed.
5. Whisk in the melted coconut oil.
4. Add oat flour and coconut flour. Mix together until a ball starts to form. If necessary, use your hands to evenly combine all the ingredients
6. Roll out the dough to about 1/4” thick. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown
8. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup