Recently I’ve been craving tangy, salty foods and it made me wonder if dogs get cravings like we do. If only they could talk and tell us what they're thinking, right? Until then, I have no problem indulging their tastebuds with a variety of delicious treats, which is how I came up with this recipe.
I wanted to create something savory, yet healthy and nutritious. These dog biscuits combine the best of both worlds. A little beef broth for flavor, plus spinach and zucchini for vitamins A, B, and C.
3 cups brown rice flour (plus extra for rolling out the dough)
1 cup beef broth
2 cups fresh spinach
3/4 cup zucchini
Don't worry if your dough is green...its should be that color. It will also be on the sticky side. Make sure you use lots of flour when rolling it out. DOG MOM TIP: Generously flour the counter space, then place your dough in the center of your work space. Cover the top of the dough with saran wrap/plastic wrap, then begin rolling it out. The saran wrap will keep the dough from sticking to your rolling pin.
If your dough starts to stick to your cookie cutters, then dip your cutters in a flour before using them on your dough.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a food processor or blender, puree spinach and zucchini. If there’s any water, drain it completely before combining with the other ingredients
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and beef broth
4. Stir the spinach/zucchini puree into the egg and beef both
5. Start to add the flour 1 cup at a time and begin to form the dough into a ball. If necessary, use your hands to evenly combine all the ingredients
6. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes
7. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown
8. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup
High Paws and Spinach Treats,
Me, my doods and I