The countdown to 2021 is on its way and I can’t wait to ring in the new year with a glass of bubbly. And of course its not a celebration without my two special fluffy boys. This year I created a special dog treat recipe that’s inspired by various cocktails…Think spicy pear cosmos meets ginger mojitos.
Being that alcohol is extremely toxic to dogs, I got creative to capture all these yummy flavors into each cookie. The delicious smell will have your pup drooling into the new year. This naturally sweet recipe is low in calories, making it a healthy choice to feed your dog. Pears are a full of valuable nutrients, such as vitamin C and A, fiber and calcium. These cookies also have mint, so your pup’s breath will be fresh and ready come midnight :)
2 1/4 cups oat flour (plus extra for rolling out the dough)
1 cup pear puree
1/4 cup soft coconut oil
2 tbsps honey
1 1/2 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
2 tbsps chopped mint
To make this recipe you’ll need about 3 pears for the pear puree. First, peel the pears, then remove the core and all the seeds. Using a blender or food processor, puree the pears for about 15 - 30 seconds. The puree should be thick, with itty bitty, teeny chucks of pears.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg and soft coconut oil (DO NOT MELT YOUR COCONUT OIL).
3. Stir the pear puree, vanilla and honey into the egg and coconut oil.
4. Add flour, ground ginger and mint. If necessary, use your hands to evenly combine all the ingredients.
DOG MOM TIP: I like to divide the dough into parts, forming two separate balls. I find it easier to roll out two smaller pieces then one large piece of dough.
5. Roll out the dough to about 1/4” thick. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes.
6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
7. Allow treats to cool completely before serving to your pup.